Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When milking is too obvious and the franchise is tired already


Milking is an unfortunate curse to some characters may it be on video games or movies. Take the example of Super Mario. Mario, from being just a regular Italian plumber, shoots up to fame when he was warped to a different dimension-- and most unfortunately, in the world of turtles, piranhas and whatnot, when every mushroom is a good guy, except for the confusing gogoombas. Are they even mushrooms in the first place?

The stand alone winner for this round is my beloved Shrek. I have to admit that this green ogre's first movie was a hit! I loved every bit of it and I was rolling with laughter from the start of the movie until the very end where the credits are running. I was even excited that a second film was coming up! So when it came, yeah, I was still laughing, but not really as hard as I did with the first film. The third didn't do well. Well, yeah, I kinda liked the whole Disney Princesses being all down right dirty with their karate moves and stuff. That was cool. But that was it. The last installment didn't even fair at all.

I guess the surprise factor is no longer there. When the first movie was out, I was amazed of how creative Hollywood can be-- twisting and churning beloved characters. It didn't alienate people of all countries because EVERYONE knew the story behind each characters of fairy tale and nursery rhyme. It was funny to see them being redefined, re-introduced and some even blasphemed (Fairy God Mother being evil). However, the whole franchise has started to feel exhaustion from the third installment and while it attempted to make a second wind, I'm sorry but it didn't make it where it wished to get it's grimy and sweaty ogreish hands on.

Too bad there is no such thing as third-wind. If there is, it must have killed dozens of people.

Another useful blog presented to you by Half-Cooked Adobo. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment