Saturday, June 5, 2010

Master of None (part2)

Again, this picture was ripped from Google. I don't wish to end this blog with any infringement issues.

I mentioned in my previous blog that I may have mastered none of my learned talents, but I do know that I could act. This is now in serious debate with one of the people who I have looked up to.

Recently, I did a commercial for a known car brand. I keep on telling people that this was the hardest commercial I have been so far. The commercials I did were just few and undoubtedly forgettable. I have not seen this commercial being aired. I was just under the impression that I did well, because the producers said so.

My mentor didn't see it that way. He said that I was never a convincing actor. And I only got the looks but not much of the talent. I feel like Deena Jones (played by Beyonce Knowles) in Dreamgirls. I really felt for her, having the looks and the quality, but never the talent. I feel this was just who I am. All looks and no talent. Thanks to my mentor.

But this shouldn't stop me to make myself better. I know that there are things that I should learn to master this craft, but a little encouragement could help, right? I wasn't asking for an opinion, rather, I don't need it. Not that I don't want to see the errors in what I am doing, or finding that my best was clearly not enough, but I wasn't doing serious theater. There is a fine difference between theater acting and commercial acting. The latter requires you to be superficial.

What pains me is that my mentor is right But what makes me happy is that he's not always.

Another useful blog presented to you by Half-Cooked Adobo. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment