Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hear the Tiger roar?


I shot this photo years ago when I was still living in Mandaluyong. (I promised to post pictures here so here it is. It wasn't half as bad.) Mandaluyong City has pride itself for being one of Metro Manila's tiger cities. I remember when I was in grade something during the time when former Prexy Ramos was still in the rampage with his ever powerful cigar, that in terms of economic progress, the Philippines was tagged as the tiger cub of Asia. This title was shared with another Southeast Asian country I think they called Thailand. If not, then I'm sorry. Clearly, I am not doing my homework.

I have a bull to pick on this photo. Manda-Linis is a good slogan. It says alot of what Mayor Abalos wished to happen to his city. We wishes to clean the city off not just physical garbage, but social and economic wastes as well. Good slogan, but not very original. But have you ever notice the picture? It's a tiger, yeah, and the tiger's yawning.

During the proclamation that Mandaluyong City is one of the nation's tiger cities, Mayor Abalos thought that it will be a good idea to post a picture of a tiger roaring. So he asked his staff to rip a photo off from National Geographic, paste it in his would-be billboard, add his slogan and ta-daaa! a poster fit to encourage people to be proud of living in his city. His staff made a huge error. They picked a tiger yawning. I guess they don't know what a tiger looks like when it's fucking mad! I bet no one even noticed it. Either that or they don't care a bull at all.

Could this error be subliminal? That in all honesty, the people of Mandaluyong is just waking up from the almost eternal slumber that they were in then realizing the mess they were in? Or was the tiger just about to go to sleep? Or the tiger may be too tired to do anything now. I am betting that the tiger was just startled from his sleep. I bet he's going back to sleep afterwards.

Another useful blog presented to you by Half-Cooked Adobo. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment