Wednesday, June 9, 2010

ANIME RECOMMENDATION: One Piece

Nagka-blog na rin ako e galing-galingan ko na.

Few days before Ondoy chewed up the city and spit it like a sucked-dried tamarind seed, I was suffering from carbuncles. Yes, that's CARBUNCLES. It was more that 3 and more that I can bear. But while I was bed ridden for a week, this anime has kept me company for the rest of my carbuncles' wee period.

This is not just another pirate series or movie like Pirates of the Caribbean. One Piece is THE mecca of Japanese Anime story telling. I am at the lost of saying praise to this anime series. I have been puffing 3 cigarettes straight just for me to come up with a good description for it.

This anime is the longest standing Japanese Anime known in recent history. Boasting a total of 454 episodes (and is still running) and some 500+ manga to date. This is the story of the unbelievable adventures of Monkey D. Luffy, Captain of the Straw Hat Pirate Crew, in his quest for the coveted treasure called One Piece. It was said that who ever clutches this treasure will become the Pirate King. When he was younger, out of frustration to join Red-haired Shanks's pirate crew, Luffy ate a devil fruit called Gum Gum fruit (Gomu Gomu no mi in Japanese) allowing him to stretch his body to magnanimous proportions. Devil fruits come in different varieties allowing users to obtain fantastic abilities. It may give the users animal images and powers, manipulate objects and elements, and some enhance their physical features. The catch is, devil fruit users will be unable to swim.

Joining his motley crew are Ronoroa Zoa, his (supposed) first mate; Nami, the Navigator and weilder of the elements; Usopp, the sharpshooter; Sanji, the cook; Tony-Tony Chopper, the doctor; (Not in picture) Nico Robin, the archaeologist; Frankie, the shipwright and finally, Brook, the musician.

Among all the characters' story, my favorite tale of origin is that of Nico Robin. The story made me cry river! Yeah, I know, I'm such a pussy. Tony-Tony Chopper's origin also gave me the goosebumps and it also made me shed a few tears and there. My favorite character in Luffy's crew is Frankie. I could relate to him so much because I too am such a character in real life.

My favorite One Piece character who is not in Luffy's crew is Boa Hancock of the Amazon Lily Tribe. Why do I like her so much? Let me share with you one of my favorite lines:

"Do you know why I get away with things? That even if I kick a kitten or steal from any would-be ship, everyone forgives me? That's because... I... am.... BEAUTIFUL!"

Hay. Gusto ko ring kainin kung ano ang kinain niya.



Find more related articles about them in it's dedicated wiki. Or heck, watch the anime instead!


Another useful blog presented to you by Half-Cooked Adobo. Seriously.

3 comments:

  1. i like the girl with the black shoulder length hair. forgot her name. she's fierce.

    my bro is addicted to this anime. i like bleach more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she's Nico Robin. Oh yeah, I will soon watch Bleach too. Heard of great reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should! better start downloading!

    btw, i already linked your site in my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete