Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sex Education in Philippine Education System

(Ripped the photos somewhere in Google.com)

Yesterday and the day before that, my internet service went to a complete slump. During that time, my television was beckoning me to straighten my index finger and push on on it's, uhh, ON button. Boredom was the key for it to hypnotize me. When it gladly flashed it's bright lights on me, I was in a news program asking viewers what they have in mind about Sex Ed being integrated in the curriculum of Elementary and Highschool students.

Again, the church has something to say about it. They're saying that it's okay for the subject to be meshed with high school curriculum but not with the Elementary ones. They say that we are polluting the innocence of the children.

SAY WHAT?

Innocence? I know sex existed when I was barely out my kindergarten years. The question is, what is so impure about sex anyway? What's wrong with sex and the notion that we have to study sex in general? Are they afraid of that the kid would be so curious about it they will start finding sex partners for themselves just for them to LEARN what the fuzz is all about?Are they scared about the fact that they are brooding possible sex offenders in the near future by exposing children about something very human and instinctive for their survival? For the survival of their very own species?!

Maybe I'm not making myself very clear about this. I believe that if something is sensationalized to stupid proportions, people will be more curious about it. The more you shun them about this issue, the more they get the feeling of wanting to know more about it and eventually doing it. That's why you see more sex offenders coming from the Class C sector (people living in rural areas, sometimes provincial areas) who have limited resources to this information than any other social clusters. Don't believe me? Look it up. Again, they forgot about that part.

The Department of Education's goal for integrating this very well-made-sensitive topic was in order to combat the spread of diseases, to balance out population growth and to avoid unwanted pregnancies which will lead to some serious issues e.g. abortion. So how is the church participating in it? They actually helped out in making all the Department's goal fail, first in sensationalizing it: For making people feel bad about following their basic instincts and for giving out wrong information. According to a survey (Sorry, too lazy to look it up), about 60% people living in the slums have no clear idea on how they get pregnant. Oh yeah. They thought that it was "Heaven sent" or it was "God's will" why they become pregnant. They have no frigin' idea that they get pregnant because they had sex. To them, it was like more of a hobby because they don't have anything else to do productively.

I say, integrate the system even in Elementary curriculum. I have been talking insurmountably about sex education in the rural areas. A lot of them couldn't make it to high school because of economic reasons, then bombard them where they are at their peaks.

Some viewer said that it's the responsibility of parents to teach their kids about it. I'm betting my odds that as they become parents themselves, it will be completely hard for them to discuss it with their future offspring. Why? Because they have been "polluted" about the church and societies ideologies about sex: That it's dirty and plain bad.

Thanks for the help, but no thanks.

Another useful blog presented to you by Half-Cooked Adobo. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. easy lang...
    vote for halfcoked adobo for SEX EDUCATOR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me sex must not be discussed in elementary kids and even in high schools.its not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete