Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Master of None

Recently, I have been trying to win a literary competition in Jessica Zafra's Lit Wit Challenge. Lagi na lang akong talo. Wala pa akong napapanalunan kahit isang notebook man lamang. But this doesn't discourage me. Siguro, it's just high time that I start investing on books to read. As they say, in order to be a good writer, one has to be a good reader too. E di naman ako mahilig sa libro to begin with.

Speaking of books, most of the ideas I know I just simply get from people. When I was in highschool, I was a very raw person. I mean, I have no idea what are the things that I can and cannot do. So, instead of wallowing on the facts of what I can't do, I started exploring things I can do. Turns out that they were many, thanks to the people around me.

This happened to dawn me when I realized that I need something to do in the talent portion of Mr. Intrams of 1995. Completely baffled, I tried consulting people of my god-given talent. Turns out, wala. I can't dance and I can't sing. The only thing I could do were very academic. In short, wala nga talaga akong talent noon. I did declamation because I know I can act. But as I grow older I realized that acting is actually no acting at all. Naturally, talo na naman ako.

When it was all over, I tried putting a list of the things that I wanted to do and started working on them. I consulted a friend who is a dancer. I asked her what does it take to be a good dancer. She said that you should be able to swing your hips. Then I started swinging my hips. I joined a dance contest and although we didn't win, people started saying that I am a better dancer now.

Singing was the hardest as it requires discipline. It's easy where you can find people who will teach you. I simply just joined a choir. Eventually, this was the most embarrassing moment of my sheer life. Having no idea how to sing, I crooned albeit tragically, in front of all choir members. Everyone was laughing. I was bright red but I was still smiling because I know that is the only thing I can do best. I heard someone from the background saying that I was the worst would-be choir member. It didn't stop me from singing though. It was a good thing that I was a good listener so whatever the choirmaster was teaching us about voice I quickly grab. Until eventually, I have started joining singing contest and thankfully, the highest I have achieved was 2nd place in a college singing contest. Given na yun. Di magagaling ang sumali.

I tried drawing too. Mastering the art of portraits and human figure. Who am I kidding? I couldn't master it! But what I found out is that I am very good in copying images thanks to my gift of spatial relations. Ha! This also includes trying my luck as an editor in a school newspaper. Again, my talent is raw and I know that I won't be able to make it that far. Turns out, I end up being an Associate Editor and gained the 7th spot in the Divisional Press Conference in Editorial Writing. I could have been better now you know, but at least, coming from someone who has no passion for writing then, it was victory for me.

Clearly, I can do a lot of things, but I have mastered none. Siguro, I have always been out of focus. But what I am trying to focus now is acting. This I am sure I can nail especially now that it's bringing me that long strip of bacon.

Another useful blog presented to you by Half-Cooked Adobo. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment