Thursday, December 31, 2009

What To Say To A Straight Friend

My friend has been out of the circle for 4 years. Now that he is back, there are a lot of things that we should cover for and part of it is my sexuality.

It was one fateful night in an event center in my province, when my then partner "out-ed" me to all my friends who were merrily singing at that time, this straight guy included. It was almost torture at first and I have no recollection whatsoever how I got out of it alive, but then again, I was thankful to my friend, who though his, I don't know, insanity(?), brought all my best buds together. We became "really" best friends.

But this straight friend had a little different situation then. You see, when my ex was about to declare with all courage that I was his boyfriend, that damn bloke went to the restroom and missed all of it! It was only when we were chatting over Facebook that he found out that I was gay and what exactly happened in that place. It was hilarious! It was either my friend clearly was still oriented to the fact that I like girls or he's just stupid.

It was not really as dramatic as I was expecting. Well, because I was expecting that he knows it. If I have any inkling that he didn't know, would I be courageous enough to tell him about it? Would I be casual about it or should I go for the more formal attack, to tell him personally and not just though any medium.

That 'hard' part is over. Now, what I forgot to tell him is not to tell everyone my sexual orientation. He almost said something to one of my friends who didn't know or he might have but she's just not telling me. I was really getting to the point that my friend is indeed, really, absolutely, definitely stupid for generalizing that all people know about it. It's my fault that this almost happened and I can't get over the fact that I was the stupid guy in the first place for not even thinking that he has this tendency of being an idiot.

Oh yes, Sam Milby, you are NOT an exemption!


Another useful blog presented to you by Half-Cooked Adobo. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment