Thursday, April 23, 2009

Growing pains

My ex-lover saw that ad we did for a very, very huge company. He's line goes like this:
Ex: "Oh, wow, I saw you ad today at the papers."
Me: "Ah, really?"
Ex: "Yeah, but you look very old in the picture. Did they do something to you like photoshopped your picture?"
Me: "I have no idea."
Ex: "I was thinking maybe because you were smoking too much."

I love it when people to come to me saying that I don't look my age, that I look way way older. But that's that. My genes are build to look older than my age and there is nothing I can do about it but to accept the fact that it is.

The problem sometimes when you have gay friends is that they tend to look at how you are successful in life by how less creases you have on the face. All along I thought that it was about the money, but they are making things complicated than it should be. I'm only 27 years old but people mistake me to be much older than that. I rarely care about it, though. It kinda gets annoying when people have to tell it to you right smack in the face.

See, my straight friends rarely say anything about how I look. They base they're amazement on how much wealth I have accumulated to be exact. But when you have gay friends, the line between masculinity and femininity all comes together in a mesh so disorienting I experience vertigo.

Straight men will never look at another straight guy's appearance. They tend to look at what car he is driving and what kind of cellphone he has. For the female species, they tend to look at one's same gender on physical attributes. So put them all together, you get the gay crowd.

I remember one of the heads of departments of where I work asked for a body shop's marigold goat's milk facial soap as a wish list for their exchange gift. Ooh, I thought that is soo gay. Heck, I'm not complaining. That's what he wants to do with his life. Use the goat on your face for all I care. A friend of mine brags that he uses a max factor press powder to rid him off blemishes. I noticed a co-worker of mine attending work with blush-on covering the perimeter of his eyes giving people the illusion that he has fair skin-- that was until I noticed it and told him whether he was using make-up. He denied it but he admittedly says that he did put something on his face.

I have nothing against it. If you want to look nice, youthful, by all means do so. But I want none of em. I'm gay, yes, but to put on make-up for everyday use is above and beyond me. Too ridiculous though, if you ask me.

Going back. That's the thing with my gay friends. They look at you as a hopeless case if in case they caught you in your worst and in your most natural appearance. Then again, I'm not asking them to change it. The whole plethora of subjectivity comes into play. Their plight for supreme beauty comes from being young again while I see it as adding matter where it really matters.

Another useful blog presented to you by unEARTHed. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment